Sep 21, 2009
Categories: The Cross Hatch Dispatch
[Above, Abby Denson’s a real cut-up. Below, Dispatch running with scissors.]
- The incomparable Jaime Hernandez is coming to 826LA. On Tuesday, September 22 at 7:30 PM, he will be part of a panel discussion with other cartoonists, discussing “ink and pixels, pigments and politics, and how the love of comics mixes with the sticky waters of the business.”
- Get yer comix, it’s the 2009 Top Shelf Massive $3 Sale!
- Meanwhile, John Porcellino continues his Map Of My Heart tour in Cincinnati, Ohio at Shake It! Records.
- As part of its ongoing film series, the Society of Illustrators in NYC is hosting an evening dedicated to Buck, the weasel star of “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs.” A team of the Blue Sky artists who helped create the animated character will give a presentation on their process. The event starts at 6:30 on Thursday, September 24.
- The Midwest Comic Book Association has a new website! Complete with a list of exhibitors coming to this year’s FallCon (October 10-11).
- Green Candy Press has announced the publication of Abby Denson’s latest graphic novel, Dolltopia. It will hit stores this October. Denson is a Lulu Award winner with a distaste for traditional Barbies. Check out a Dolltopia preview on her website.
- Follow Jamie Tanner through the creation process of his next graphic novel from start to finish. Donate enough, and you get all sorts of goodies, like a signed copy of the eventual book, or original artwork!
- Box Brown is compiling a definitive SPX “MUST GET” list. There are some lovely new books debuting at the expo this year—if you know of some, add them to the list!
- James Kochalka made a heavenly appearance in a recent episode of Ben Wolfinsohn’s My Odd Days.