Jun 29, 2009
Categories: The Cross Hatch Dispatch
[Above, the return of the animated Maxx (sort of). Below, liquid Dispatch.]
- In the mood to become famous? It’s time for Oni Press Talent Search 2009! At this year’s San Diego Comic Con, Oni Press will be conducting portfolio reviews for any artist who illustrates one of Oni’s five-page sample scripts. Can’t make it to Comic Con? Mail your portfolio by August 15th.
- The short film Dig Comics, described by its creators as “a love-letter to the art form of comics,” will be competing at this year’s Comic Con. A feature-length version of the film is in the works.
- This September, Jeff Parker (Agents of Atlas) and Steve Lieber (Whiteout) are teaming up on a new series, Underground, for Image Comics. The story moves at a fast clip from Stillwater Cave all the way to the Kentucky Mountains.
- Long-time cartoonist/first-time author Eleanor Davis will appear at the 2009 American Library Association Conference on July 13th, where her book Stinky will receive an Honor Medal for the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award. Stinky is the first comic book to ever receive the honor.
- MTV is streaming old The Maxx cartoons! Since the bizarre cult series is still not available on DVD, you’d best make the most of this viewing opportunity.
- James Kochalka hacked Super Mario Bros to make a character that looks like his cartoon self/elf. Now, he has released this elf character onto the Internet, for all to download and enjoy!
- Still pining for a few more applications on your iPhone? Finally! Someone’s designed a comic specifically for the darn thing! “A Separate World” is that comic. It even has its own trailer, in Italian.
- Do you have shelf porn? That is, are your overflowing shelves of comic books (and perhaps also action figures) so beautiful as to verge on the pornographic? If so, send a photo to Chris Mautner of Comic Book Resources, and you could have your shelves featured among those of other shelf pornographers!