Interview: Joe Matt Pt. 1 Updated 3/25/07

Categories:  Interviews

Dear comics friends, here are your mission(s), should you accept them:

Joe Matt1. Add Joe Matt as your Myspace buddy. He’s that big smiling, bespectacled man holding a cat in our top eight [he’s our fifthest best friend forever–consult image at left for more information-ed.]. That the man doesn’t currently have 50,000 friends, including each and every lonely 50-year-old housewife in Southern Kansas is a damn crime.

2. Buy Matt’s books. They are good and funny and smart and well-drawn. If you want any more than that, you are a greedy bastard who will most assuredly die alone and disappointed. There are currently 14 issues of his auto-bio book, Peepshow to choose from, as well as anthologies Fair Weather, and the incredibly insightfully named Peepshow: The Cartoon Diary of Joe Matt. Hi new book, Spent, and a re-release of almost-turned-into-an-HBO-show trade paperback, The Poor Bastard are dropping in June.

3. Once you have taken the first two steps, and have fallen in love with Matt’s work, loudly profess your feelings to the world in your own unique way, be it through song, telling a friend, buying him some groceries from Gelson’s, or getting a Joe Matt tattoo somewhere on your body. Hell, if it’s good enough, you might even buy yourself a spot in a Daily Cross Hatch post. We’re just saying.

We spoke to Matt from his home Los Angeles home, and we’re a little bit sadder for having done it.

3/25/07.

Editor’s note: The Joe Matt interview is down for retooling. We all have bad days. Personally, I make a point to conduct at least nine crappy interviews in a given week. Since those days spent standing in the middle of our court, playing Three Flies Up, I’ve been a firm believer in the do-over. With that in mind, please stay tuned for The Joe Matt Interview, Version 2.0, coming soon. In the meantime, go pick up a copy of Peepshow, available at your local comic book purveyors.

–The Daily Cross Hatch

13 Comments to “Interview: Joe Matt Pt. 1 Updated 3/25/07”

1. Rachel Gowman | March 16th, 2007 at 9:30 am

I think he should have his bank info posted online and all his fans could
    give him 5 dollars. thats it- a joe matt fund, maybe we should get into
    fundraising for the poor bastard. But really, why doesn’t he just do
    colouring jobs and stop whining?

Rachel Gowman
    Toronto

2. Box | March 16th, 2007 at 11:31 am

I love Joe Matt’s comics and everything. But, if he does nothing and is complaining about funds, how about putting together more work! Maybe if Peepshow came out like 4 times a year instead maybe once he’d make some more loot!

3. Yakov | March 16th, 2007 at 5:42 pm

what a whiny bastard. either work or be happy poor! my suggestion: make more comics

4. Paul Greer | March 19th, 2007 at 5:28 am

What a world we live in where a genius like that is scraping it together.

I shortly lived in a deluded world where I thought I could make money doing the comics I wanted, but luckily I woke to two stone cold facts:

1. I was rubbish.

2. Even the greatest artists in the world don’t make much of a living from it (I mean, Jim Woodring for crying out loud), unless they start writing film scripts, and selling them using their comic book kudos, which is quite frankly not what we started all this for.

So I got a job. >choke

5. Kevin Johns | March 19th, 2007 at 10:37 am

The reason Joe Matt has fans everywhere and yet no money is that he puts out like one issue a year if we are lucky. That has nothing to do with people not buying his work, or stores not stocking it, and everything to do with him not producing product in a timely manner.

Brubaker isn’t rich because he writes Daredevil. He is rich because he writes an issue of Daredevil, Captain America, Criminal, and X-Men every single month, 12 months a year!

6. anthony woodward | March 26th, 2007 at 8:00 am

Where can I get onto a copy of the original interview can anyone email me a link or full text? Would be much appreciated ;)

7. fair weather fan | April 24th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

where’s the updated version? It’s been over a month??

8. The Forbidden Planet International Blog Log » Don’t put your son in Indy Comics Mrs. Worthington
  9. Journalista - the news weblog of The Comics Journal » Blog Archive » Mar. 19, 2007: Somewhere, Jack Kirby is laughing
  10. Interview: The Return of Joe Matt Pt. 1 « The Daily Cross Hatch